"Change is the only constant in life" - you've probably heard this quote before. And if you're in the second half of life, chances are you've already experienced some of life's biggest changes. Children grow up and become independent, the amount you owe on your mortgage shrinks, and your last day of work gets closer.
As your life changes, your insurance needs may evolve too; and to remain fit for purpose, your policy needs to keep up with those shifts. Here's when and why giving your cover a 'health check' is important.
Why insurance reviews matter
When was the last time you reviewed your cover? Many things can change in life, and sometimes, these changes happen very quickly.
Whether it's a big milestone or something seemingly small, each life event can affect your finances, your goals, and insurance needs.
Booking a review with our friendly LifeDirect advisers is an opportunity to:
- Finetune your cover - We can help you understand how your life's changes relate to your insurance needs, and address any protection gaps that may arise.
- Refresh your memory: Need a refresher of what you're covered for? If you've taken out cover some time ago, you may not remember the detail. And even if you're familiar with your policy, there's a lot of detail to remember. You can quickly access info about your cover by logging into MyLifeDirect.
- Identify opportunities to claim: We can help you check that you haven't missed out on a claim and discuss benefits that are worth taking advantage of.
Is now a good time to review my cover?
If it's been a while since you last reviewed your cover - well, now is likely to be a good time. Every year, we invite you to review your cover: for some it may be enough, for others a little too much, but it's always time well spent if you'd like to ensure that your cover is keeping up with you.
How often you need to review your cover largely depends on how quickly (and how much) your needs are changing. Besides checking in with us on a regular basis, we recommend getting in touch if you've hit any of these milestones since your last review:
- A change of marital status
- Buying property
- Paying off debt (including a mortgage)
- A career shift or retirement
- Starting a business or closing one down
- Becoming an empty nester
These, of course, are just some common examples. Has anything important happened in your life of late? Please don't hesitate to contact us.
We're here to help
If you'd like to review the cover you have in place and ensure that it's still appropriate for your needs, goals and budget, get in touch. Our friendly LifeDirect advisers are here to answer your questions: give us a call on 0800 800 400 or message us here.
Disclaimer: Please note that the content provided in this article is intended as an overview and as general information only. While care is taken to ensure accuracy and reliability, the information provided is subject to continuous change and may not reflect current developments or address your situation. Before making any decisions based on the information provided in this article, please use your discretion and seek independent guidance.