QuickCover is a straightforward life insurance policy that pays out a lump sum on your death or if you are diagnosed with a terminal illness (a condition that is expected to cause death within 12 months). There are no expensive frills – just simple cover that’s easy to arrange.
Anyone aged 21 to 60 can enrol in QuickCover. Acceptance is guaranteed regardless of your medical history and any medical conditions* you already have will be covered after the initial three year period. Once your policy is in place cover can continue until you reach age 65.
* A few conditions are permanently excluded. Please refer to "What isn't covered?"
Because your acceptance is guaranteed, cover is provided in two stages:
- For the first three years you are not covered for any conditions you already have but you are covered for accidents and any new conditions that may develop during this time.
- After three years you are covered for new and existing conditions, although a few situations are permanently excluded – these are detailed under "What isn't covered?"
This two-step approach means cover can be provided to everyone without having to ask any medical or lifestyle questions.
Up to $200,000 cover
You choose the amount of cover you want, from $50,000 to $200,000 (or any amount in between), subject to a minimum premium of $10 per month. The premium you pay is based on your age, your gender and whether or not you smoke.
Premiums increase each year in line with your age but if you would prefer not to pay more, when the time comes you’ll be given the option to freeze your premiums instead. This means you will continue to pay the same amount but your cover will reduce each year.
What isn't covered?
The only events not covered are death or terminal illness caused by:
- an existing injury, illness or degenerative condition, suicide or intentional self harm occurring in the first three years
- HIV, AIDS or any related condition
- The use of alcohol or non-prescribed drugs
- War or warlike operations
Who the money is paid to
The proceeds of your policy will be paid to your estate to be distributed according to your Will or by your executors. You can assign ownership of the policy to someone else if you wish and any money will be paid directly to them however, if you enrol by telephone or online, this can only be done after the policy has been issued.
From age 65
Life insurance can get pretty expensive once you reach your 60’s and many people don’t require as much cover once the family is grown. Recognising this, you’ll be given the option to switch to a Funeral Plan policy at age 65, or at any earlier time provided your policy is at least 3 years old, with preferential terms for existing policyholders.